April 19, 2012 / Chersti Nieveen

J.K. Rowling’s new book announced

For those who haven’t heard, J.K. Rowling announced her newest book last week.

The Casual Vacancy (ISBN 9780316228534. $21) is due out in October from Little, Brown.

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

While it looks like Rowling is steering away for fantasy, it looks like she’s still going with a quirky world (at least quirky names). And I have to admit, I’m really kind of excited just to see what else she’ll come up with.

Ms. Rowling also announced that she will be writing a Harry Potter Encyclopedia.

So what do you think? Are you planning on reading her new book?

1. determinedtopublish / Apr 19 2012 8:52 am

Already preordered it. The woman is a genius, can’t wait to see what else she can do! 🙂

• Chersti Nieveen / Apr 19 2012 2:56 pm

I have to agree that she is a genius when it comes to writing. Simply brilliant. I just look at her lyrical style, which is just so readable (like someone is telling the story out loud), and the funny things she puts in EVERYWHERE and just sigh with jealousy. Maybe someday I can write half as good. 😀

2. Somersaulting Through Life / Apr 19 2012 8:55 am

I can’t wait to read her new book! 🙂 The encyclopaedia sounds great, too.

• Chersti Nieveen / Apr 19 2012 2:57 pm

Okay, does it make me a nerd if I’m excited about an encyclopedia? I’m hoping she puts in little extras, or easter eggs, for us to fin.

3. Joel Smith / Apr 19 2012 9:37 am

I am definitely interested as her style of writing has always been very compelling.
    I think the encyclopedia is silly. Having read the novels and watched the movies, I’m not interested in more “info dumping” about it all. But that’s just my opinion 🙂

• Chersti Nieveen / Apr 19 2012 2:59 pm

Lol – that is so funny. I’m actually excited about it, but then I was excited about all the other books she put out in the world. I am such a collector of facts, but mostly I think her world-building is astounding. Seriously, I just look at that stuff and try to take notes on how well she did it. But I can totally see your point here.

4. Britney / Apr 19 2012 10:52 am

It sounds really interesting. I’m planning on reading it.

5. Jenilyn Tolley / Apr 19 2012 2:53 pm

Huh. That sounds different. I’m not sure what I think about that yet.

6. Chersti Nieveen / Apr 19 2012 3:01 pm

Britney: Then we can stay up all night talking about it, yes??

Jenilyn Tolley: I’m actually excited about it being so different, because then I won’t be comparing it to Harry Potter the whole time.

7. Tiffany / Apr 19 2012 3:18 pm

This looks interesting–what’s the time period? now, or in the past at all?

• Chersti Nieveen / Apr 19 2012 3:26 pm

I kind of assumed it is present, or near-past, but nothing has been released to confirm exactly when. It might be aiming more towards the timeless, like Harry Potter was, with it being a small town and such. So no real mentions of computers or cellphones.

8. Shallee McArthur / Apr 19 2012 4:32 pm

I’m really excited to see how this works! Even though it’s so vastly different, she’s got such great writing skills, I’m intrigued to see what she does with it.

9. ali cross / Apr 20 2012 11:01 am

That’s probably one of the best copies I’ve ever read! I have to admit I kept expecting it to reveal some sort of speculative content, but I guess it sounds like it’s general fiction? Sounds super interesting either way!

10. Megan Hutchins (@mkhutchins) / Apr 21 2012 9:21 am

I’m not sure if I’ll read it or not (mystery’s not my typical thing), but it didn’t surprise me she wrote a mystery — I thought the Harry Potter books all followed a mystery plot-line pretty well.

11. amyhackworth / Apr 21 2012 10:55 am

Wow! Exciting! I wonder if JK Rowling feels any pressure. I’m sure readers have really high expectations!

12. Chersti Nieveen / Apr 21 2012 11:05 am

Ali Cross: I am hoping there is some “extra” element in her book somewhere. But even if it is just straight fiction, I’ll be happy!

Megan Hutchins: Wow, I didn’t even think of it like that. But she does have very strong mystery threads throughout the Harry potter series, and she does an excellent job.

Amyhackworth: I know if I were in her place, I would feel SO MUCH PRESSURE.

13. Lincoln 55 Seniors Paper / May 1 2012 5:20 pm

Too good to pass up. Hoe you don’t mind being reposted.

Trackbacks

1. J.K. Rowling’s new book announced « Chersti Nieveen « Lincoln 55+ Seniors Paper